Without question, Content Marketing is one of the hottest topics today. But we are in the early days. Are we doing content marketing right?
A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to participate in a Content Marketing panel at the Texas Marketing Summit in Houston. The other panelists provided with great insight. I also came to the conclusion that our understanding of Content Marketing is in its infancy, much like social media was 8 years ago.
It seems we still have much to learn and to improve as marketers. Sometimes it feels we are failing. Are you failing too?
Let’s Start With the Basics.
To understand the right way to do content marketing, let’s be clear about what it is not:
- Content marketing is not new – it’s been around for a long time
- Content marketing is not a strategy – it should support your existing strategy
- Content marketing is not a program – but it should influence your marketing programs
- Content marketing should not be a department in marketing – all of marketing should embrace it
- Content marketing is not a tool or a set of tools – tools support it and enable it
- Content marketing is not publishing blog posts, slideshare decks, and Instagram posts
If your view of content marketing falls under one of the bullets above, you are limiting your success. Content marketing is far more powerful than that.
Without question, Content Marketing is one of the hottest topics today. But we are in the early days. Are we doing conte...